with Dayo Scuba, Orlando, Florida
Nitrox has become one of the most important tools used in scuba diving, and has revolutionized the way we scuba dive today. The Nitrox Course is the most popular specialty diver course at Dayo Scuba. Nitrox divers can scuba dive make safer & longer dives with shorter surface intervals required.
Air is a primarily a mix of nitrogen and oxygen, in a ratio of 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. This can be used safely on most scuba dives, however, adjusting this ratio (resulting in a breathing mix we call Nitrox) allows the opportunity for much safer dives. Nitrox (also called enriched air) is any mix that has more than 21% oxygen in it (and proportionately less nitrogen). If we have less nitrogen in our scuba tanks, we breathe and accumulate less of it during our dives, so therefore we can stay down longer, have shorter surface intervals, and are less prone to issues that too much nitrogen causes. Like everything, there is a drawback to "too much of a good thing", there are certain considerations to be taken into account when using Nitrox.
The Nitrox course trains divers to safely plan and execute Nitrox dives using mixes from 22-40%. It is an academic based course that trains divers on the background and principles of Nitrox diving, benefits and considerations when using Nitrox, and how to properly plan Nitrox Dives. There are no specific water skills to be evaluated at this level (hence no compulsory dives at this level), however to effectively demonstrate the advantages of Nitrox, students are encouraged to do some diving while using Nitrox.
There are 2 required sessions to complete your Nitrox Course with Dayo Scuba:
* The academics are completed at home from an online code or DVD/Manual Set we issue you when you come by the store or pay online for your scuba class. This is a self-study course where you review the material at your own pace and typically takes 3-4 hours to complete. When you are finished with your academics, you will meet with your scuba Instructor to review the material and get fitted for scuba gear.
* The practical hands on session, at Dayo Scuba with a Nitrox Instructor, which takes up to an hour. This can be done on the students schedule, anytime, during regular shop opening hours. During this session, you will learn how to calibrate a Nitrox analyzer, and use it to analyze a set of Nitrox tanks. Correct labeling of the Nitrox cylinders will also be demonstrated.
After successful completion of your academics, and familiarization with a Nitrox analyzer, you will awarded your certification as a Nitrox Diver.
Click here for Current Price Schedule
There are no compulsory dives to obtain your Nitrox Certification from most agencies. If you wish to dive, you are more than welcome to come along on any of our trips, CLICK HERE TO SEE THE DIVE CALENDAR
Notes on the Nitrox Course at Dayo Scuba:
* You need to be Open Water Certified (or equivalent), or enrolled in an Open Water Course to enroll in the Nitrox Course
* You must be at least 10 years old to receive an SDI Computer Nitrox certification; 12 years old to receive a Nitrox certification and 15 years old to receive a TDI Nitrox certification.
* To enroll in the SDI Computer Nitrox program, you must have a dive computer. Computer not required for TDI Nitrox
* DAN Insurance is HIGHLY recommend for all diving activities.
* The Nitrox class is usually combined with the Advanced Open Water Class, or related specialty courses such as deep or wreck diving.
* Your Nitrox cert can count towards the specialty courses needed for your Master Scuba Diver rating.